With the parish membership continually growing, more parking spaces were needed, so a lot on Hanna Street was purchased in 1956 to enlarge the parking lot. A small lot across from the church on Outer Drive was also purchased to help ease the parking situation.
The first floor of the school addition was ready for use in September of 1957. More classrooms were still needed. During the 1957-58 school year
arrangements were made to use a classroom at St. Sebastian School. The fourth-grade class was taken by bus every morning and returned in the afternoon after school. An addition to the school was opened in 1957.
The year 1960 saw many improvements to the parish property: A field house was built on the athletic field, an addition was made to the convent, the parking lot was blacktopped, and the lot and house adjoining the convent was purchased for any additional sisters who may be assigned.
The boys’ choir, under the direction of Mr. James Hansen, made history in our parish in 1963. After giving a concert for the parish, they made a record which had remarkable sales. Word of our talented young men spread and they were invited to perform in Marquette, Michigan.
They gave a concert there and the following day sang at the ordination Mass. The boys were invited to eat dinner with Bishop Noa and other priests after the ordination; and upon entering the dining area, they were greeted with an enthusiastic ovation. On their trip home, they stopped at Marywood, our religious sisters’ home in Grand Rapids, and were treated to dinner. The boys, in turn treated the sisters to an impromptu concert.
In 1964 repairs were made to the convent and another addition to the school began. Plans for additions to the convent and rectory were drawn up in 1965 with work to be completed in 1966.